What Is a Hearing Aid?
A hearing aid is any device you wear in or over your ear to increase your ability to hear. Medical conditions and environment factors can cause hearing loss over time, often to an irreparable level. Your audiology doctor will prescribe a hearing aid that will enable you to hear better. Keep in mind that hearing aids are recommended only if the underlying condition causing the hearing loss cannot be treated by other means. There are a variety of styles and technologies used for hearing aids and you will be given one that best suits your needs.
If you are seeking a top audiology clinic with a trained and qualified team of specialists, the Eastside ENT Specialists in Ohio offer you the perfect solutions. Call us at 440-352-1474 to set up an appointment with a reputable Audiology Doctor in Concord, Willoughby, or Madison.
Why You Might Need a Hearing Aid?
A number of behaviors and symptoms can require you to wear a hearing aid. These include:
- You are unable to make out what people ask
- You have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time
- You have to turn up the volume when watching TV or listening to music
- You have trouble understanding what people are saying, especially in gatherings, such as church services or movies
- You face difficulty in taking part in conversations in a group
- You cannot understand what people say if they are at a distance
- You tend to stay away from social situations and gatherings
- You have to strain your ears to listen to someone speak
- You have trouble using the phone
What is the Process for Getting a Hearing Aid?
As mentioned, your hearing loss may be caused by an underlying medical condition. This is why it is important that you consult your physician about the problem. Your physician will refer you to an experienced otolaryngologist who will diagnose your condition and if necessary, prescribe a hearing aid. Before you can receive a hearing aid, you will have to undergo a series of audiology tests, including ABR and VNG. The audiology tests determine the extent of your hearing loss. It is important that you head to a reputable audiology clinic for these tests.
Your audiology doctor will decide on the ideal course of treatment based on the diagnosis through audiology tests. In case your condition can be treated medically, you will have to take medication and make some lifestyle changes. In case your condition is severe, you will receive a hearing aid.
What Are the Benefits of Hearing Aids?
If you are unable to hear properly, your quality of life will suffer. Your social life will be affected adversely because you will find it difficult to hold conversations and listen to what people say. This will also have a negative impact on your work performance. In fact, a survey shows that you can lose out on tens of thousands of dollars in annual earnings if you cannot hear properly. Here are some of the benefits of using hearing aids:
- Hearing loss, if left untreated, can lead to cognitive decline. Your risk of conditions like Alzheimer’s increases if you don’t get the right treatment for the problem.
- Over 50 million people in the US alone suffer from tinnitus. This condition can produce a ringing sound in the year and over time, lead to hearing loss.
- Your quality of life will improve when you are able to hear better because of your hearing aid.
Hearing aids, when prescribed by an experienced audiology doctor, can prove an effective treatment for hearing loss. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of hearing loss, you should schedule a checkup with an experienced otolaryngologist without delay. If you are seeking a top audiology clinic with a trained and qualified team of specialists, the Eastside ENT Specialists in Ohio offer you the perfect solutions. Call us at 440-352-1474 to set up an appointment with a reputable Audiology Doctor in Concord, Willoughby, or Madison.
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
We welcome new patients and make it easy to schedule a consultation.
Call to schedule an appointment.